Sunday, January 4, 2015

Breakfast- The Hardest Meal of the Day

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!

Can you count on your fingers how many times you've heard that phrase? Personally, I despise hearing it. It's ridiculously overused, and is it even true? No one ever tells you why breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But, despite the annoying phrase, it actually is. In the morning, when you feed yourself, you are letting your body know that you're awake, and it's time for another day. Then, your body jump-starts your metabolism. Keeping your metabolism stable is the key to staying healthy, and not gaining weight. And, as you get older, your metabolism naturally slows down. So, to keep your metabolism stable, you do need to eat breakfast. 

Ooh, Yum! If only I could actually Make this. Credits to Johnsonville


The hard part in all of this is what to eat for breakfast. I personally have so many issues with finding something I like to eat in the morning that's easy and quick. I don't have time to make a three course meal with some fresh squeezed orange juice. And, at six in the morning I'm not really up for making myself food either. I've experimented with many breakfast dishes, and have finally picked my favorite. But, before I reveal the winner, I will show you a timeline of breakfast foods past- some good, some bad. Who knows, maybe I'll give you some ideas for your early mornings. 

I used to eat cereal for breakfast, like lots of people do. But sadly, that is one of the bad breakfasts. It has no protein to keep you full until your next meal, and it is almost pure sugar. Those are reason enough not to eat it. 

Then, I went to instant oatmeal. You know, the ones in the brown packets? I would always have the brown sugar flavor, because if you add your own sugar, you'll probably put way to much in, and thats not good. Honestly, I just got sick of eating this every morning. But, it is a relatively okay choice to eat, if you don't mind the sugar and extra chemicals. Its quick and easy.  

After that I think it was a cut up banana and peanut butter. This is a very good option, because you get a beautifully vitamin rich banana, and some protein in the peanut butter. If you can choke down the sugar free peanut butter or almond butter, that would make it even better. I stopped eating this for breakfast because, again, I got sick of it (I get sick of foods easily).

And finally, the winner! Right now when I get up at, like, practically four in the morning, I drink a protein drink. Not an Odwalla bottle of chemicals or anything, though. I have two different powders that I put into water every morning, shake up, and chug. It takes maybe two minutes, and doesn't taste that bad. The two powders that I use are Nano-pro and Nano-green. These both come from the company Nano-greens.com, but I buy them off of Amazon. The Nano-pro is a protein powder (don't worry, you wont look like a muscle-builder), and the Nano-green is like eating a plate of kale, but without having to eat kale. You all know how much I hate kale. I put two scoops of Nano-pro, then one scoop on Nano-green in some water, then chug it. This is a really good option if you have a weird stomach, and eating solid foods in the morning makes you feel sick. I don't know if that's an actual thing, but I've hear people say that. And, I've been drinking it for a whole four months and I still haven't gotten sick of it, which is actually kind of rare. The only bad thing about this drink is that the powder in pretty expensive, and it runs out fast if you use it everyday. My family decided to buy an entire case of it at a time, and that way it's also cheaper. But, if you can't afford the powder there are always other alternatives that you can have for breakfast. Like, say, a fruit smoothie. 

~Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment