Monday, October 20, 2014

What to Eat While Far, Far Away

So, I'm in sunny San Diego trying really hard not to walk down the beach and grab my favorite vanilla milkshake. But, I am on vacation right? How can you know whether to give yourself a week off or to crack down even harder on your healthy eating? Well, I'm here to tell you my favorite strategy for having a great vacation, but still fitting into your favorite jeans by the time you get home.

While on a trip to my favorite place, I also like to eat my favorite foods, and that doesn't include kale. My policy for eating while on trips goes kind of like this - I can have one sugary thing a day, and very small amount of other food that I usually won't eat, like pasta. For me, sugary foods are stuff like sweets, baked goods, desserts, and drinks other than water (like a double chocolate chip frappuccino).  I try to eat these things as little as possible, but on trips I'll eat one sugary food everyday, whether a chocolate lava cake for dessert or, as previously mentioned, my favorite vanilla milkshake. Fun story, I have to sneak into the pool at the Hotel Del Coronado to get my favorite bartender (his name is Brett) to make me this delicious drink.


A beautiful sunset on my favorite beach


When I'm at home, I'll try to not eat gluten, especially pasta, but while on vacation I often abandon that rule. If I'm at my favorite Italian restaurant (Asti Ristorante) in San Diego, I'll happily eat a heaping bowl of pasta. But if I'm on vacation, I won't sit by the pool eating a bag of chips. I still try to avoid too many snack foods, and eating when I'm not hungry. Most of the time it's not a problem because I'm too busy having fun!

Another thing I make sure to do while on vacation is keep exercising. In different places, I'll do different things so it doesn't get boring. For example, when I'm in San Diego, I'll go running on the beach every morning, or I'll try to. For me, it makes me feel so much better the rest of the day if I do something active. These are just some of the ways I like to have great vacations!

~ Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment